Monday, September 17, 2012

Can US Open Success Help Tomas Berdych For The Future?

If any of you remembers, on my draw day post, I said that Tomas Berdych could possibly lose in the First Round, and how he has a very difficult draw.  I will be the first say he definitely proved me wrong on this one.  I thought his woes from the season would continue.  Now, we have to ask the question, will this US Open performance help him for the future?

At the US Open, Tomas Berdych, in my opinion had a very difficult draw.  For starters, he would have to play David Goffin in the First Round.  Goffin challenged Roger Federer in the 2012 French Open Round of 16 this year.  Although this did not happen, I thought he might have to play Denis Istomin, a 2012 Wimbledon Quarterfinalist in the Second Round had he made it out of the first.  Well, first off, Istomin lost in the First Round, and second, Berdych completely ripped through his opponents.  He only dropped two sets until the Semifinals!

The most impressive win, however, had to be his Quarterfinals victory against Roger Federer.  Most people were penciling Federer in for a Semifinals appearance against Andy Murray, however, Berdych would have none of that.  He shocked the crowd, going up two sets to love.  His hard hit balls were overwhelming Federer.  Roger Federer, as always, would not go down without a fight, as he took the third set.  At that point, all of the momentum was going Federer's way, and for the time being, at least I thought he would come back to win the match in five sets.  Berdych would have one more surprise for the crowd during the fourth set.  He once again shocked the crowd somehow regaining the momentum to Federer 6-3 in the fourth, and final, set.  Berdych could not sustain this momentum, however, losing in four sets to Andy Murray in the Semifinals.

Now, we must look to the future.  Will Tomas Berdych build off this win and continue on with his successes?  Or will Berdych fade off, never to make another grand slam semifinal again?  If you ask me, I still will say the latter.  I feel like this US Open was a bit of a fluke with what happened earlier in the summer.  But that is just me.  The US Open, of course can be Tomas Berdych's building block for many future successes, but it is up to him to prove he can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment